Questions? +1 (202) 335-3939 Login
Trusted News Since 1995
A service for global professionals · Saturday, December 15, 2018 · 471,194,566 Articles · 3+ Million Readers

CleanBC climate plan boosts British Columbia’s signal for renewable fuel use and production

Advanced Biofuels Canada lauds the Government of British Columbia for its new climate plan, with critical role for low-carbon renewable fuels

Today’s announcement builds on a decade of smart, hard work by provincial staff and political leaders. An increased LCFS is a vote of confidence in the capacity of biofuels to deliver.””
— Ian Thomson
VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA, CANADA, December 6, 2018 /EINPresswire.com/ -- The Government of British Columbia released on December 5th its CleanBC climate plan, which charts a path to 19 million tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions reductions by 2030—an ambitious yet achievable set of measures that put low-carbon biofuels at the forefront of the Province’s climate efforts. It also puts BC firmly in a leadership role on the national stage.

Highlights from the CleanBC plan include:
• Strengthening the low carbon fuel standard to a 20% reduction in fuel carbon intensity by 2030
• Supporting ramp up of new renewable fuel production to 650 million litres by 2030
• Zero-Emission Vehicles to make up 10% of new light duty vehicle sales in 2025, 30% in 2030, and 100% in 2040
• 15% minimum renewable content in industrial natural gas consumption, and cleaner industrial operations through electrification, CO2 storage, and direct air capture
• Improved energy efficiency in buildings

The 19 million tonnes of reductions in the CleanBC plan represent approximately 75% of the Province’s overall emissions reduction goal in 2030. The remaining 25% of the reduction measures will be determined over the next 18 to 24 months and will include new clean energy options, waste management, and reducing emissions in forestry, land use and agriculture. The CleanBC plan suggests that by 2030, over 40% of diesel and 10% of gasoline could come from biofuels.

Advanced Biofuels Canada released a statement today by President Ian Thomson. “CleanBC is sending an excellent signal at an opportune time. Today’s announcement builds on a decade of smart, hard work by provincial staff and political leaders. The convergence in BC of sustainable feedstocks and robust technologies can spur new production of low-carbon biofuels and create sustainable jobs across the province, with existing biofuel options continuing to provide a foundation for new fuels. BC’s renewable and low carbon fuel regulation has already reduced emissions by 6.37 million tonnes between 2010 and 2016. An increased LCFS is a vote of confidence in the capacity of biofuels to deliver.”

Advanced Biofuels Canada/ Biocarburants avancés Canada is the national voice for producers, distributors, and technology developers of advanced biofuels. Our members are the global leaders in commercial biofuel production and technology development, with rapidly expanding investments in British Columbia to meet new low carbon fuel demand. Since 2005, ABFC has provided provincial and federal leadership on effective biofuels policies that expand clean energy options, achieve measurable climate action results, and stimulate new investments and clean growth. For information on Advanced Biofuels Canada and our members, visit: www.advancedbiofuels.ca.

Ian Thomson
Advanced Biofuels Canada
+1 604-947-0040
email us here
Visit us on social media:
Twitter

Powered by EIN Presswire


EIN Presswire does not exercise editorial control over third-party content provided, uploaded, published, or distributed by users of EIN Presswire. We are a distributor, not a publisher, of 3rd party content. Such content may contain the views, opinions, statements, offers, and other material of the respective users, suppliers, participants, or authors.

Submit your press release